January 2012 - 36 photos

On the morning of January 22nd, 2012, I was out cleaning driveways with my snowblower when my cellphone started ringing. It was my daughter Cheryl calling to say, 'Let's go Snowshoeing, it's a beautiful morning with lots of snow'.

We had been waiting more than a month to go snowshoeing, but there just hasn't been enough snow. During the last 24 hours we got about 8 inches of snow here where I live, so I figured there would be enough snow up in the mountains now. Three days earlier I drove up to Snowbasin and found about 6 inches of snow. Not enough to snowshoe. I called around to see if anyone else wanted to go, but everyone was busy with something else, so it was just me and Cheryl. It was pretty late in the morning by the time we headed out, so we didn't get started snowshoeing until 12:00.

Click for Photos
Reaching the Saddle Ridge, Sardine Peak on the right.

There was plenty of new snow at Snowbasin, more than 2 feet at the parking lots. A parking attendant told us there were no places left in any of the parking areas, so we parked along the road below the lower parking lot. Being the first heavy snow fall this year, a lot of people showed up. We decided to walk over through the Maples Picnic Area to the north. This year they hadn't even groomed the trails yet. When we got into the Maples, we decided to hike on up to the the saddle ridge just below the Ogden Overlook and Sardine Peak. Earlier that morning someone had broken a trail along the summer trail. Usually in winter they go up the powerline trail, which is really steep. It's a little longer on the summer trail, but not as steep. When we got up on the ridge, I wanted to go on up to the overlook. I don't think Cheryl really wanted to go on, but she did it for me. When we got up there, it was 4:00 in the afternoon, and the sky was clouding up, getting cold and dark.

Coming down we cut straight down through the woods as I have other years, but the snow was too deep, too soft, and also too wet. It was very hard going and we sank up past our knees. We couldn't go back up to the trail, so had to continue on down. When we got to where the trail doubled back, we decided to stay on it for the rest of the way, even through it would have been much shorter going straight down. We still made pretty good time though, two hours going down compared to the four hours it took going up. Because we started this hike so late in the day, we didn't get back to the car until 6:00 and it was getting dark. Our car was the only one left. We went into the lodge to get something to eat, but they had stopped serving at 5:00 PM, so we headed home.

The total hike was about 4.5 miles, climbing about a thousand feet high. I didn't have my GPS this time.

Click for Photos
The view from Ogden Overlook. By the time we got there, it was overcast.

CLICK for map of our trek

you can view all the photos by clicking on any of the pictures here
or the   'View Photos'   button
- 36 photos -

Related Photos

Snow Shoeing to Ogden Overlook
Ogden Overlook, 2012
 Ogden Overlook, 2012 
 click for photo story 
 or click a link below

Ogden Overlook, 2011
 Ogden Overlook, 2011

Ogden Overlook, 2010
 Ogden Overlook, 2010, 2010

Ogden Overlook, 2009
 Ogden Overlook, 2009

More Snow Shoeing
 More Snow Shoeing

My photos were taken with a small Canon Powershot, SX210, 14 Megapixel Camera which has Image Stabilazation and a lens going from wide angle to 14x optical zoom.

These photos are set to lower resolution and compressed 10:1 for faster loading. You are welcome to look at or download any of the photos. If you use them on any other webpage, please give credit and refer back to me.

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitors on site now ( [an error occurred while processing this directive] )
Total visits  [an error occurred while processing this directive]